Three round tables between stakeholders and researchers
Mapping European Union in the World
6th March 2012 - 09h/17h, Brussels
- Strategic visions of Europe in the world (around 5 visions of Europe as normative power / world economic center / continent with borders / archipelago of attractive places / the EU).
- National visions of Europe in the world (comparison between 12 national visions of Europe in the world: from Member States / Candidate and neighboring countries / Africa and Southern America / China and India).
- Mental maps as pedagogic tools for dialogue (Pedagogical toolkit for better understanding between nations inside and outside EU).
→ Then download the final reports produced by the researchers, in ADOBE Acrobat format. Files are gradually made available, few weeks after their validation.
The last one, the synthesis report will be publish before the beginning of March 2012.
→ See all the maps made in the topic 'Mental maps' by visiting our
Subjective Mapper viewer.
... European Union and the world seen from abroad!
Geographers are the most critical social scientists when it comes to the delimitation of borders of the so-called European continent.
Continents as Huntington’s civilisation are ideological productions that are certainly not based on natural facts. But they are deeply enhanced in the mind of European citizens and policy-makers because they were historically produced by Europeans as a tool of world power.
It is therefore crucial to examine which divisions of the world are perceived by people located outside the European Union, in order to produce a non Eurocentric view.
Periodically, sheets will be available to students and people looking to learn these tools of analysis.
This files could be upload in the WP5 results pages or by click here.
NEW CONTENT [22 Dec. 2010] Visualizing Networks
- DIDELON C., De RUFFRAY S., LAMBERT N., BOQUET M. (2011), A World of Interstices: A Fuzzy Logic Approach to the Analysis of Interpretative Maps, The Cartographic Journal, vol. 48, pp. 100-107, May [and Open Access].
- KINCSES A., KARÁCSONYI D. (2011), Ukrainian citizens in Hungary: national cohesion and economic constraint, Journal of Urban and Regional Analysis, vol.2, n°2.